Chapter 1: Getting familiar with the IntelliJ IDEA
In this section, we will show how to setup our development environment for writing Scala code. Throughout the tutorials in this chapter, we will use the popular IntelliJ IDEA in order for you to get familiar with it and in turn help you be well prepared for real world Scala coding.
Why not jump straight onto learning some Scala?
Sadly, most tutorials about Scala show how to use Scala in it's REPL, which is a command line tool where you can write and run your Scala code. But, would you be able to secure a Scala developer job by just knowing the REPL? Probably not :(
So let's get started!
- Scala Environment Setup – Install Java Development Kit (JDK)
- Scala Environment Setup – How to install the IntelliJ IDE
- Scala Environment Setup – How to install Scala plugin in IntelliJ
- Your first Scala Hello World application
- Launch Scala application from main method
- Running Your Scala application
- Debugging Your Scala Application
- Getting Started With Scala Project
- Scala Project Classpath
- Getting Started With build.sbt
- SBT Dependencies And Maven
- IntelliJ Settings and Preferences
- IntelliJ Navigation Keyboard Shortcuts
- IntelliJ Search Keyboard Shortcuts
- IntelliJ Keyboard Shortcuts – Compile, Debug, Run
Share this article on